MacGourmet News


MacGourmet news, recipes and announcements


Saturday, October 28, 2006

Ice Cream at Home Update


Since my last post on making ice cream at home, I've tried a couple more flavors and learned a couple things.

Mixed Berry frozen yogurt: Great taste, a little harder to make than the simple chocolate ice cream, and not as smooth and a little more icy than I would have liked. Still, as a frozen dessert made with low-fat frozen yogurt and lots of fruit, it's a nice, somewhat healthier option.

Simple Chocolate, made with Callebaut cocoa powder: Wow, this is what I was shooting for when I undertook this. This cocoa power is harder to get and more expensive than your typical supermarket brand, but the light chocolate taste is hard to beat. Getting the cocoa mail-order is easy, I ordered it from ChocolateSource.com though Amazon.com. You can't seem to get this particular product though Amazon.com right now though. You can still, however go directly to the source.

Another nugget of wisdom: I now use the 1 pint Ziploc Twist 'n Loc containers to store my ice cream. A quart is a lot of ice cream, unless you are sharing it with a group, and the smaller containers make it easier to share with 3 people instead of one or two, plus they are a lot easier to eat out of when you get near the bottom. I found that typically, one batch of ice cream perfectly fills 3 of the pint containers too, which is nice.

Coming soon: Reviews and recipes for cocoa nib and REAL vanilla ice creams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




For help or comments: macgourmet [at] advenio.com.